Saturday, May 21, 2011

It ain't pretty

I'm always a little taken aback when I see the inside of a head.  The face may look perfectly pleasant, but the inside is a tangle of epoxy, metal and wood. 

Here's a peek inside the head I'm working on where I set the eyes separately without an eye tray.  The eyes are suspended from the top of the head.  Each eye's pivot bolt was screwed inside a small piece of wood. The wood was inset into Magic-Sculpt that was affixed to the interior forehead area.  After it dried, I covered it with a thin layer of Magic Sculpt to secure it in place (like the eye on your left).  The eye on your right will be covered next.

The downside of this method for me is that I can't make crossed eyes the same way because I'm concerned the torque required to make them cross will eventually detach the Magic-Sculpt from the head (though the attachment feels very secure).  I thought of another way that will apply torque side-to-side, but I'm concerned the cords may end up too deep in the head for clear movement.  Unfortunately I thought up this second method after I set these eyes in place. I'll try that experiment on my next feller. 

No comments:

Post a Comment