Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Back to work

The shop isn't quite finished, but I'm together enough to get some work done. 

Not every head casting comes out perfect.  There are occasions when bumps have to be sanded and dents have to be filled.  I used to apply Magic-Sculpt to fill the dents, but I got a tip from Buzz James and Mike Palma that wood filler works better on a urethane head.  And they're right.  The dried wood filler sands more easily and more smoothly.

I used to apply Elmer's Wood Filler back in the day when I used wood headsticks, but the texture was flakier than I liked.  Today I tried Minwax Wood Filler in the tube and I like it much better.  It comes out of the tube more like a paste, so it's easier to smooth over the indentation.  It also sanded nicely.  We'll see what it looks like after I paint on the primer coat.

3 comments:

  1. P. Grecian7:41 AM

    Excellent tip! Thanks, Kenny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:42 PM

    Amazing that the filler sticks that well! I've spent a small fortune on Apoxie Sculpt and found it tricky to work with. I'll certainly have to try Minwax. How is it when building up parts?
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't done any serious build up with the Minwax yet, just small dent fills. If I do any with it, I'll blog.

    ReplyDelete