Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I can hear out of both ears



It was a struggle to duplicate the ear on the left.  I think I made four or five attempts before getting it done.  It's hard to duplicate something because there's always a little luck in getting it right the first time.

I took a close-up photo of the left (its right) ear and displayed it on my large computer screen.  Then I formed the right while staring at the contours of the original.  But the luck comes in when you realize you don't have the very exact amount of clay under your thumb.The difference is small... but it makes a difference.   I'll add a touch of fill here and there and it will fix flaws.

Hey, I came as close as I could.

2 comments:

  1. P. Grecian7:53 AM

    I've recently had a similar frustration, but finally did this: I drew the ear at the correct size, put the drawing, face down, on a lightbox and, on a second piece of paper, traced the mirror image.
    I could've, then, sculpted the clay over the drawings...and have done that...but for this latest project, I imagined each layer of ear, guided by the drawings, and made a series of drawings at various depths (about four or five) I then used these patterns to cut the shapes out of hard-pressed foam, stacked and glued them together and then covered them with a couple of layers of acrylic mache'. When I write it down here, Kenny, it seems like a lot of extra work...but didn't seem so at the time! It's strong and lightweight, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I do kenny is to use both hands. If I am creating an ear on the right side, I use my left hand and follow the contour of the finished ear on the left. By feeling the shape of both ears at the same time, I have been really close in creating two ears that match pretty good.MontanaDan

    ReplyDelete