Saturday, February 01, 2020

A Brose alternative



















With Mike Brose recovering from a health issue, his amazing cast eyes are no longer available. Of course, we all wish him well for a million reasons. He has mentored so many of us over the years with his generous advice and exceptional book "Figure Making Can Be Fun".

One of Mike's suggestions in his book for making one's own eyes was to print out the irises with a computer printer and glue them onto a painted white knob. I've done this many times with my 2T conversion figures before I found high-quality plastic eyes. But since I haven't found a source for 1-1/2" eyes, I'll need to make my own again. So, I've drilled a hole straight through a pair of wood knobs and painted them white. I've also printed out some blue irises which I will glue to the white knobs. Finally, I'll add a layer of glossy varnish to complete the look. The varnish also prevents the printer ink from fading.

When Mike recovers, I hope he resumes making his cast eyes. I've never found a better product. But whether or not he resumes his business, I wish for his speedy recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment