Friday, September 07, 2012

Undid lid

You could probably tell that my first soft blinkers attempt failed.  I removed the chamois.  I still may be able to salvage the project because the frames are intact. I couldn't get the chamois to retract in the head.  (Isn't that what it's supposed to do?) One issue is the Tacky glue didn't make the chamois eyelids significantly stiffer. So they roll up. I think I also need to shave a small bit of room in the eye sockets.

I have another crazy idea. What if I trimmed down the styrene hard shells and reinforced the leather with them?  (Someone please tell me to stop!)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:06 PM

    kenny, dont give up. fasten the chamios material to the brass frame. wrap maround the brass to cover and let dry. close the winker and while closed remove wrinkles and apply tacky above eye opening. do not pull the chamios tight since it will shrink whether you use appoxy or the tacky on the back side to stiffen things up. I generally use two, maybe three coats of tacky on the back side. Use your finger and apply on the back side pushing out to form a sphere shape to the eye lid. It might take several tries but this method will work and work well. The frame work is very important. Hope this helps and gives encouraqement. Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Can use 5 minute epoxy on the wire and wrap the cloth around the wire. Let dry. Then with the eyelid in the closed position, us some 5 minute epoxy on the top of the inside of the head where the cloth will go. Then push the cloth onto the head where the glue is and let dry. Give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kenny. I'm working on one of your Elmore castings and installing hard shell blinkers. It has been a lot of adjusting and redoing, but thanks to my trusty dremel and some patience, they seem to be working. I will see once I install the mechanics. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete