Friday, September 28, 2012

Hairy

 



















I used Free Form Air to sculpt the molded hair on the "Dead Silence-type" figure.  Working with it was a learning experience. I found out a couple of things:
  1. Waiting 30 minutes after the A&B compounds are mixed is a good thing.
  2. After you've waited that 30 minutes, you don't have much time to sculpt before it gets kinda gnarly. It's about the same amount of time you get with Magic-Sculpt. So the lesson is make sure you know where you're headed,
  3. Keep your latex or vinyl-gloved hands wet. (The instructions say vinyl).
  4. It's messy and tends to get all over stuff.
II think my approach will be slightly different next time. I don't think I will make the Magic-Sculpt hairline. Instead I will make rolls of Free Foam Air and drape them across the head to get a better hair texture.  There is actually more wave depth in the hair now than what shows up in the photo, but I think the other approach might have made them smoother.  I'll probably have to do more sanding with this initial method.

2 comments:

  1. P. Grecian7:46 AM

    Thanks for keeping us posted on the Free Foam Air, Kenny. Sounds like it might be more trouble than it's worth, eh?
    Your work on the head looks great!

    ReplyDelete