Saturday, January 14, 2012

Earl revisited

Uncle Earl has been one of my most popular figures and the 2T head has also been one of the bestsellers on Braylu Creations.  The mold has finally worn down and a new one about to be made. 

Truth be known, sculpting the head was never meant to be a model for castings, but rather a completed sculpture. But Braylu impresario Buzz James suggested that we make a mold, generate castings and sell them on his website.  I thought we'd give it a try and it's turned out well.  That being said, there were always imperfections in my original model that annoyed me (and possibly others) that I would like to correct or minimize on the next mold. 

When I made one of my first Uncle Earl's from the casting, I added a turkey neck, and later additional wrinkles on the neck.  Because the wrinkles were not on the castings, I would add them to each and every Uncle Earl figure.  Now that we're going to make a new mold, I've added the wrinkles to the model. 

I've also made revisions to the jaw.  The top of the jaw was a flat area.  Again, on each and every Uncle Earl I made, I cut off the top of the jaw, ground out the center and added a tongue for a toothless look.  I'd also grind the underside so the jaw opened wider.  Both revisions will be on the new jaw model. 

Meanwhile, I'm nearly finished with my 3T version of Uncle Earl.  Final photos soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment