Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Speaker


I regret not snapping a photo of my host, ventriloquist Ed Shipley before his cohort Uncle Grimsley made it back in the trunk. Ed invited me to speak today at the Coquille, Oregon Rotary Club. He's a retired Episcopal priest who has been entertaining parishioners for over 30 years. His vent figure Uncle Grimsley was made in the 1970's by a fellow named Dick Lovik when Mr. Lovik worked at Disneyland. (Note: I'm not sure he meant Keith Lovik since I've never heard of a figure maker named Dick Lovik). The figure was designed to resemble then-young Ed Shipley, but as an old man. Of course, today Ed says it's hard to say which of the two looks older.

The Rotary Club was an attentive audience and seemed to enjoy Uncle Grimsley's introduction of me. I did a PowerPoint presentation about my vent figure building and showed off my figure "Donnie".

Ed says he'll send a photo of himself and Uncle Grimsley for my blog, but first he'll have to ask his wife to scan one. I may perform some repair work on Uncle Grimsley, too. Over the years, he's developed a few cracks. (Haven't we all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment