Thursday, March 21, 2013

Working a head ahead


Here's today's progress on the Otis head (left). I worked primarily on the forehead. I added the wrinkled forehead and covered the eyes. I also added a smiling crease in the cheeks.I feel I've learned a lot on this project, both in the areas of anatomy and sculpting approaches.

The bizarre-looking fellow in the smaller photo is a Braylu Standard head. I have a project that will result in two figures, each representing one of the famous Buzzard brothers outlaws. A couple of years ago, Clinton Detweiler made the first of the three Buzzard brothers using my 2T Uncle Earl head.

I don't have the actual Standard head castings yet, but I'm using the one I do have in hand as an armature to sculpt some features ahead of time. I cover the sculpting area with generous amounts of Vaseline. Then I sculpt the feature on the face with Magic-Sculpt. I let it dry overnight, then remove it from the head. When the actual heads arrive, the noses and cheek expansions I've sculpted ahead should fit on the castings almost perfectly. (At least, that's my strategy).

No comments:

Post a Comment