Saturday, March 24, 2012

Fun day

Some figure-building tasks are fun.  Others are less fun (like sanding... interior head-grinding...).  Today's primary job is fun. Today I will do the initial installation of the jaw on my 3T Uncle Earl. 

I've already added the axle tube to the jaw and secured it with Magic-Sculpt.  The brass axle rod has been cut (about 4.5" long).  That will be inserted into the jaw's brass tube. Then small-cuts of tube are slipped over the protruding ends of the axle rod.

After aligning the jaw in the head, I mark where the axles almost touch the sides of the head. That's where I'll put globs of Magic-Sculpt.   I put a little Vaseline on the end-section tubes.  Then I re-insert the jaw into the head... and sink the two axle-ends into the Magic-Sculp.  I'll mess with it here and there to make sure the jaw swings freely.  I'll make sure the axle-ends have formed nice clean open slots as well. 

I'll let it dry.  Then I'll slip the jaw in and out to work on it and to make any gap adjustments.

With the jaw installed, you see the first element of life.  That's why it's so fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment