Saturday, June 16, 2007

Repair

I had to make my first repair on a vent figure I built. Luckliy, the repair had to be made before I sold the little fellow. The jaw cord slipped off the pulley inside the head after the head was sealed and the wig was attached. When I sell the figures, I include a photo of the inside of the head with instructions on how to get inside the head if a do-it-yourself repair is attempted. I finally had to follow my own instructions.

I "permanently" seal the head with dabs of Magic-Sculpt in three places. The seals can be easily sawed through, which I did. Then I had to peel up the wig, which as you know from the previous post, is glued down with Elmers Glue. I peeled up the wig without too much difficulty and no damage. (I left the wig still firmly attached to the trap door, however). Once inside I analyzed the problem. I decided the slippage could be fixed by reducing the play in the lever on the control post. A touch of wood putty in the lever slot tightened the cord. Problem solved.

I've reattached the trap door with three more dabs of Magic-Sculpt and I'll re-glue the wig around the head later tonight. By tomorrow, he'll be ready to rock.

Still, I think my new approach to the trap door on all future figures (as explained in an earlier post) will allow me to use screws to attach the trap door. I'm considering a couple of approaches to accomplish that. More later! (maybe with photos!)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:49 PM

    Hello Kenny-
    I think your vent model is great. Wow, what a talent you've got. I think the model looks like me when you say you tried to make him look old and ornery! I hope you make lots of models, and sell lots of them on e-bay.
    Mike sent me your blog. Please keep me updated on your models. Looks great to me. Paul.

    ReplyDelete