Saturday, June 23, 2007

Kinda scary lookin'

Awhile back I was asked why I saw away the entire eye area rather than just cut out eye sockets. As I mentioned, the larger eyes (1.5" in diameter) usually don't fit that well when the eye sockets are cut into the head. I prefer to sculpt my own eye sockets so the eyes fit and operate properly. Here's a look at the progress of my current project.

I lightly glued the eye tray in the head and sculpted around the upper portion of the eyes. I tried a new technique on a flat surface where I used a round plastic washer about 1.25" in diameter and formed the Magic-Sculpt around the washer to make the eye socket very round-shaped. Then I lifted the Magic-Sculpt off the flat surface away from the washer and applied it to the head. I left some room above the irises because I intend to add an eyelid flap across the eye just above the iris.

The next step is to sculpt the lower portion of the eye sockets. I'll use the same new technique with the plastic washer to form a nice rounded lower socket. Then comes the nose, cheeks, etc. I intend for this character to be an old-timer. More progress reports to come!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:53 PM

    Please check the VentCentral Forum, it seems that vents believe you should be more open about the creation of vent figures from vent toys. As one who has paid thousands for real figures from Marshall and Hartz and Foy Brown and Selberg, I must agree just checking out your site.

    ReplyDelete