Saturday, June 02, 2007

The "bible"

I just bought this copy of Paul Winchell's book "Ventriloquism For Fun & Profit". My first copy was purchased in 1955 shortly after my parents bought me a small Jerry Mahoney doll. I was only six years old, but I read this book from cover to cover. I absorbed and practiced every lesson.

As a youngster, I performed the School Dialogue in the back of the book for several years. I misplaced my original copy when I was still a kid, so it was with great nostalgia that I re-read the old routine.

Thumbing through the text today, I am reminded what a wonderful book this is. I especially enjoyed the new Forward by David Copperfield. Though he eventually became a magician, his early childhood experience with ventriloquism mirrored so many others like mine. I agree, Paul Winchell was a true genius. I'm so glad I bought the book again.

2 comments:

  1. That is a great book! I recently checked out an old copy from our local libray, and re-read it. By the way, Kenny, I'm Jimmy Smith from Kansas City. I started a new blog today to promote my vent act, and have listed your blog in my link section. I hope to update often, so stop by when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops...I guess it would help if I gave you the adress! It's at:

    http://smithandjonesventriloquistact.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete