Wednesday, June 06, 2007

He's quite a cut-up

Here's how I start my Charlies.
  • I cut out the back of the head (as I explained in the last post).
  • I cut out the molded eyes. I'll eventually mount moving eyes on an eye tray inside the head, then sculpt around them.
  • I remove the jaw and jaw enclosure. (Not all Charlies have jaw enclosures, but if there is one, I cut away the plastic after I pry out the jaw)
  • I cut out the top portion of the jaw to deepen the jaw interior. This allows for accommodating larger upper teeth.
  • I will have to shave away some of the neck area where it contacts the open jaw. This will allow the jaw to open wider, again to accommodate the larger upper teeth.

By the way, if you're into ventriloquism blogs (and if you're reading this, you must be), there's a new one called Smith & Jones". Take a look. The blog was started by "jimmy of kansas city", a ventriloquist who often comments on my blog. His blog has a collection of ventriloquism videos on the page. Fun!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for the plug, Kenny! I appreciate it. Looking at the picture of the sawed apart Charlie, I didnt realize just how much work went into your figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:36 PM

    Hi Kenny,
    been following your refurbin' blogs and have found them interesting.

    May I ask;
    1- why do cut out the eyes completely rather then just the eye sockets?

    2- do you buy something to use for the ball of the neck or do you shape it from wood?

    Thanks
    Prescott

    ReplyDelete