Sunday, June 03, 2007

A cut above

On my prior Charlie projects, I used a rotary cutting tool to open the head. My line of cut was from the top of the forehead, down the back sides, and across the bottom just above the string hole on the back of the neck. My technique made for a much larger opening, but the cut was always irregular and rough. When I put the "trap door" back on, it was secure but not too pretty. (However, it's always covered by the wig).

Awhile back, I purchased a semi-pro Charlie to see what techniques were used to build him. (You may recall that I am refurbishing the little guy). Along with the use of cylinders for eyes as opposed to spheres, the opening in the head was illuminating. It was a straight clean cut only in the back of the head from the top, to just behind the ears, to just above the neck. As I refurbished the fellow, I realized my hands fit inside reasonably well. So my next Charlie-project heads will be opened in the same fashion. I used a hand saw and the cut came out straight and clean, though I was surprised how tough the Charlie composition material is to cut by hand.

Now the real test will be if I can really get my hands inside enough to build the mechanics I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment