Sunday, December 08, 2019

Eye catching

After years of trial and error, trying various products on the market and various ways to prepare them, I found a way to make eyes for 2T and conversion figures. I buy 28mm plastic eyes from a doll supplier. They actually come with a rounded back and small stem, but I don't use the backside. I separate the front half of the eyes.

I fill the interior of the hollow half-shell eyes with a bit of Magic-Sculpt. Then I insert a 1-3/4" length of 3/8"-square piece of wood into the Magic-Sculpt. I use a small probe to scoop the Magic-Sculpt around the wood on all four sides so it grips the wood.

After the Magic-Sculpt hardens, I drill holes in the wood just behind the plastic eyes so that a rotation rod can be inserted on which the eyes will turn. I also drill a hole at the end of the wood so that a spring can be inserted for the self-centering action. Once mounted on an eye tray, I secure the eyes with a small wooden bead. The next step will be to synch the eyes together with a plastic sync bar I buy from Braylu Creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment