Sunday, February 03, 2013

Color scheme

Q: Sir, I would like your suggestion on the color of paint to use for the dummy face. I want him to look as lifelike as possible. I would appreciate your input on this . Also, would 1.25" eyes fit the sockets of a 3T head? Thank you. - J.D.

A: I follow the suggestions in Mike Brose's book "Figure Making Can be Fun" for Caucasian flesh tone. I start with Titanium White. Then I add Burnt Sienna until it gets a darker, rosier color. Lastly I mix Naples Yellow until it looks right. Some folks prefer a yellower tint, others a rosier tint.

I generally darken wrinkle lines with Raw Umber. Then I stipple over the lines with the flesh tone darkened slightly with more Burnt Sienna and/or Raw Umber.

For rosy cheeks, I use my flesh tone mixed with some Cadmium Red. Then I stipple it on the cheeks and sometimes the nose.

Everyone has a different take on the color scheme, so experimenting with the color blend is worthwhile. Remember that acrylic paints dry slightly darker than the color in the jar. Painting the head is one of my favorite tasks in figure making. So have fun!

Finally, I recommend 1.5" eyes for a 3T head. The 1.25" eyes will probably be too small.

No comments:

Post a Comment