Saturday, February 09, 2013

Made in the shades


Q: "Hi Kenny,
This is Michael F. again. To refresh your memory, I bought Mr. Fenster from you a couple years back and you inspired me to construct my own figures.

I have since built 4 with the help of my wife.  I call my latest one "Jack".  He has moving eyebrows, self-centering eyes and a serious attitude problem. Toby took pictures and included them with the email. She would like advice on how to paint the blush on the cheeks. And what type of paint do you use?


Thanks for all the inspiration!" 

A: Your figure looks great. You and Toby are a good team. Glad you're having fun building these comical characters.

Regarding blush, I mix Cadmium Red acrylic paint into my flesh tone. How much red is up to you. Then I dip my stipple brush into the paint and dab it onto a paper towel until the brush leaves a tiny speckle pattern. Next I dab the stipple brush on the cheeks. I start in the center of the cheek and work my way out. The paint gets lighter as I work toward the edges. The great thing is that if you mess it up, just repaint the cheek with flesh tone and try it again.
Keep up the good work!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:39 PM

    I like how the eyes are done! The big, round, scarey "surprised" eyes seem to take away from the character aspect of the figure. The neutral eyebrows will probably also add to the ability to add emotion with the controls. Nice job!
    Brian

    ReplyDelete