Sunday, October 30, 2011

Crackin' up

True to the comment made by a reader, Paper Clay contracts as it dries and forms cracks.  The cracks are repairable, but it's still an extra step.  Still, I like Paper Clay for sculpting and altering cast heads. 

I'm making progress on my Asian figure.  I sliced off the end of the perky nose to form a flatter probiscus.  The wrinkled forehead is a little too "Klingon" right now, but sanding will bring it into line.  I will add a few more wrinkes and I may fatten his upper lip. 

This is fun!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:10 PM

    Kenny,
    He reminds me right now of Key Luke from his Kung Fu period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put wood glue in the cracks to help fix them and prevent them from getting worse. After that dries if you rewet the top layer a little bit you can smooth over the affected area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P. Grecian8:27 AM

    I wonder if acrylic gel medium would smooth out the cracking. Fun to watch the process, Kenny!

    ReplyDelete