Thursday, September 29, 2011

Can't stop fiddlin'

Me and Buzz James (of Braylu Creations fame) can't seem to stop messin' around with mechanics design. It seems hundreds of years of vent figure building would settle the issues. But noooo. We have to keep trying new things, new approaches, new techniques, new gizmos.

This is Buzz's latest idea, which I have employed on my full-size figure. Rather than use an eye tray, these doohickeys provide a slot by which one can slide the eyeball forward or backward into its proper placement. Once the eye is in place, mark the bolt location, remove the gadget, slip the eye off the bolt axle, lock the bolt in place with a nut on the top side of the doodad, slip the eye back on the axle, apply and secure the top washer and nut, put it all back in the head so the eye is in a perfect position. Then Magic-Sculpt the hooskerdoos to the front of the head's interior.

The photo here, however, does not represent the proper order of things. I should have installed my backsprings first so that when I went through the process above, I was ready to install the eyes permanently. I have to remove the eyes, install the springs, re-install the eyeballs onto the axles, then Magic-Sculpt the bolt in the slot from the bottom to keep it from slding. If I'd have installed my backsprings first, I could have secured the bolts in place with a nut under the eyes.

Live and learn. But I like Buzz's new thingamabob. (We need to give it a name)

No comments:

Post a Comment