Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Ticket to ride

I never met Clinton Detweiler in person, though like many people, I thought of him as a friend. I sincerely doubt I would be as deeply involved in vent figure building and the vent community in general if it hadn't been for this kind and generous man.

About nine years ago I got the itch to renew my interest in ventriloquism. So I bought a figure from Clinton. And  like I was six years old again, I was hooked.

Over the years, Clinton freely offered advice and encouragement as I learned the craft of vent figure building. Like many others, I read his Newsy Vents blog, and later Mr. D's Daily blog, every single day.

I was looking forward to finally meeting Clinton and his wife Adelia in person at this year's Vent Haven Convention.They are so deserving of the tributes planned for them. I suspect those tributes will still move forward.

The loss to the vent community upon his passing is immeasurable. Clinton Detweiler set a high standard for living in this world.  If one's ticket to heaven gets punched by spreading love and laughter, then he surely has a ticket to ride.

3 comments:

  1. This is sad news indeed. :( Like you I've read his blog almost every single day as well as have contacted him for advice on building my vent figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenny your tribute our friend is heartfelt and shared by so many. Mr. D has been the keel beam for the art of ventriloquism for so many years it is impossible to calculate the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A man I never met but talked to on the phone many times who built 4 of my Vent Figers. He would call just to see how I was doing what a great man who will be missed by many...

    ReplyDelete