Wednesday, February 15, 2012

On the ledge

I've been trying to post every day, but I've been down with a bad cold.  Though I'm still not 100%, I think I might get some work done today. 

The photo shows one of the steps I take to mount eye trays inside the head.  I used to just sink the wood tray into globs of Magic-Sculpt on each side of the head.  It worked, but the ledges were not always as neat and clean as I'd like. Now I rub some Vaseline on the edges of the eye tray, then form some neat ledges at either end of the eye tray with Magic-Sculpt.  After the Magic-Sculpt dries, I'll sink that into globs of Magic-Sculpt on either side of the head.  I don't have to be so precise because I've already formed the precision ledge.  After the globs of Magic-Sculpt dry, it's easy to pull the eye tray out (thus the Vaseline), leaving nicely formed ledges.  That way I can pull the eye tray in and out very easily. 

1 comment:

  1. P. Grecian7:05 AM

    Well now, that's clever. You've essentially "keyed" the eye tray. Elegant!

    I suppose then, if you drilled a hole through both, you could attach it with a nut and bolt or even cotter pin, so that the asembly would be easy to remove if you had to do repairs.

    ReplyDelete