Thursday, August 11, 2011

The underside

I still enjoy making conversion figures.  I offer three conversion dummies on my website, Stanley, Grampa Carl and Andy.  I do very little or no altering of the face on these figures,  I go with the standard Charlie McCarthy face, but with solid professional mechanics inside.

One thing you'll notice on a newly manufactured Charlie McCarthy doll is that the mouth doesn't open very wide.  To make the jaw open wider, I mark the underside (with a pencil) where the open jaw touches the bottom of the neck opening.  Then I mark the closed jaw where the underside of the jaw touches the neck opening. 

After that, I cut away the area between the two marks. I cut the front underside about 1/8th of an inch farther than the mark  Pop the jaw back in the head and it will open farther.

Of course, you can't leave a gaping hole in the jaw, so I stuff wadded-up paper towel inside the jaw (from the hole in the back to serve as a barrier) and form a smooth depression with Magic-Sculpt.  Then I sand and prime.  A little more light sanding and it's ready for the next phase. 

Oh yeah, after the Magic-Sculpt dries, I pull out the wadded-up paper towel with a pair of hemostats.

2 comments:

  1. P. Grecian6:14 AM

    I spent quite a long while trying to picture all of that. Since I don't have a charlie here as reference I had a little difficulty. After two visits, I think I've got it! Pride of craftsmanship, eh? Good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... sometimes explaining my madness is difficult. Not surprised it's even harder to understand. - Kenny

    ReplyDelete