Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Conversion version

After building my first figure with a Fred head and parts from puppetsandprops, I used Charlie McCarthy vent doll heads as armatures and sculpted new faces on top of them using Magic-Sculpt.  I started selling the figures and got a little flack from the vent community for not declaring them as "conversion figures". (In my defense, I'd never heard the term before.  I'd been out of touch with ventriloquism for decades. Heck, I thought I was the first person in the world to make 'em like that).  But I don't mean to rehash an old debate.  Rather I want to point out that it was a great way for me to begin makin' dummies.  I learned a lot sculpting happy, sad, mean, young and old figures. 

Dick Buechler did the same thing.  He purchased a Standard head from Braylu Creations and sculpted the head on the right over the head on the left.  He changed the age, race, and personality.

The big issue with using a Magic-Sculpted head for the final figure?  Weight.  The more Magic-Sculpt, the more weight.  That's why it's even better to make molds and castings from your sculpture, then make the dummy from the lighter casting.  Plus you can make more of 'em! 

No comments:

Post a Comment