Sunday, July 29, 2007

New eyes

In a previous post I told you about my refurb project of a converted Charlie McCarthy doll I bought. The original maker used cylinders instead of spheres for eyeballs. I repainted the eyes and attempted to reinstall them. However, when the refurbished figure was sent to the new owner, the eye mechanism shook loose during shipping. The buyer sent the head back so I could make a repair. Rather than try to re-install the original eyes, I opted to start from scratch. I built a self-centering mechanism using hand-painted wood balls. The result is that the eyes look better and work better. I used furniture feet pads to quiet the mechanism inside the head. Today I'll install the new eyes using glue and Magic-Sculpt to anchor them solidly and permanently.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:12 PM

    I was pretty sure that was the direction you were headed. Good for you. Bet you turn out some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete