Saturday, December 30, 2006

"Pro" and con

Did you read Glen Rappold's response on Newsy Vents to the definition of a "pro" vent figure? Ouch! Out of respect, I don't want to create a debate on Clinton Detweiler's fine blog, but I'd like to respond here.

Glen correctly states that the professional standard for years has been 38-42" for vent figures. He also writes that "pro" figures CAN be smaller. But he goes on to say that if vent figures are built from toy figures (like my Charlies), they are only "semi-pro". He infers that these figures are not "original" or "one-of-a-kind". I beg to differ.

Glen does beautiful work using Mike Brose casts. I especially like his paint jobs and I have told him so. But I can more easily recognize Mike's casting than most folks could recognize Charlie McCarthy from my finished figures. In fact, each new figure I have created is a further departure from Charlie McCarthy than the last. I use the Charlie McCarthy dolls as armatures. Using MagicSculpt, I create a completely new face for each figure. Even the one I'm currently working on will end up different, even though I am actually trying to copy a character I previously sculpted. Why? Because I wanted to see if I could.

Regarding disclosure, I admit that I don't disclose in my Ebay copy that the figures are made from old Charlie McCarthys. Why? Because of the very derision cast upon such figures by other builders. If anyone asks, I'll certainly "disclose". But my figures (in my opinion) are as professional as any created by Glen Rappold or any other figuremaker. There are figuremakers who make better dummies than me, but I am not threatened by builders I admire. (And Glen is certainly one of those builders).

I offer a "Certificate of Authenticity" because I hope to establish a good reputation for my work, and because I hope that someday that certificate will be of more value than it is today. I also issue the certificate because my efforts (whether judged good, mediocre or bad) are an attempt at being artful. And third, I issue a certificate because it's FUN!

Just because one figurebuilder resculpts a Mike Brose casting and another chooses to resculpt a Charlie McCarthy does not make one result "pro" and the other a lesser product. My figures require untold hours of effort (I make about 10 cents an hour) and I do not have a crisis of conscience over the modest prices people pay for my handiwork.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:14 AM

    I think any figure in the right hands is a "pro" figure. Even a sock with buttons sewed on for eyes.
    From what I can tell from the photos, the figures you make are as professional looking as any other available on the net.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess whatever floats your boat. Most of my figures are by Dan Payes, but I can see your point about using the Charlie head as a starting point and moving on from there.

    Have you ever tried a "Mort" type figure?

    Cheers,

    ComicVent

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:16 AM

    Hello Kenny

    I thought Glens attack was against me. As I stated in World Vents, the word pro does not determine the size or make of anything. I have been watching your figures on ebay. I too make conversion figures and have been doing this for well over 20 years. I grow tired of the critics who are out to slander their competition. We are a small group and should support each other's endeavors instead of criticizing them. It doesn't look good to those just coming in and gives them a bad taste in their mouths which may prevent them from becoming further involved in this art either in figure making or acting. By the way, I think you make great pro figures. I'm in your corner!
    Steve Barry
    Gepetto's Workshop

    ReplyDelete