Saturday, August 12, 2006

Did he like him?

I just received an inquiry from a well-respected vent builder. To protect his privacy, I won't say who. But the Ebay "question for seller" was about what material was used for Charlie1's head. Of course, I told him that Charlie1 started as a Charlie McCarthy, so the underlying material was a plastic. I also told him I re-shaped his face with ApoxieSculpt.

I'm tickled that this renowned builder would inquire, though I'm not sure if he asked because he liked the looks of Charlie1 or because he was suspicious of his origin.

Based upon some descriptions of vent figures for sale on Ebay that include "not a re-built toy", there is some disparaging of re-made Charlie McCarthys, Danny O'Days, etc. But if one totally re-scuplts the face with the original dummy head acting as little more than an armiture, it seems okay to me. Building Charlie 1 and Charlie 2 has been a deeply creative process for me.

In fact, there will be a Charlie3. I just bought another old Charlie McCarthy on Ebay.

Expect more blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment