Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Ignore some of this video

A reader asked about the mechanism I built for Otis' self-centering eyes. So I'm reposting this video I made five years ago. Otis has eyes made of 1.5" wood ball knobs, but I embed plastic irises instead of the printed irises referred to in the video. The spring mechanism, however, is the method I still use to make the eyes self-center. This method was learned from Mike Brose's wonderful book, "Figure Making Can Be Fun". I no longer embed a rod-and-tube in a wood control stick. I now use PVC pipe with a rocker controller mounted on the pipe.  The cords are attached to the eyes' synchro bar with the cords running down the hollow PVC pipe and attaching to the mounted rocker.

Finally, now that I'm retired from my "real" job, I do accept orders for figures and have for a few years now. So ignore my comments about not accepting orders. Please... place orders! :-) 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Kenny for the video. The mechanism is really simple and effective.

    ReplyDelete