Monday, August 12, 2013

The fix is in



I'm repairing a Lovik figure from the mid-90's. I used Tacky Glue and PaperClay to repair the large cracks in the cheek. The cracks didn't go all the way through to the inside of the head. The plastic itself appears to have "de-layered". (I'm a little concerned because I can see other very small cracks starting here and there.)

I had to seal the crack on the neck from the outside only because the interior is inaccessible. The trap door opening is small and the head is jammed full of mechanics. So I used two layers of Magic-Sculpt, the second layer applied after the first one dried, to seal the separation on the neck. It'll leave a bump even after sanding, but at least the repair is solid. Because of the separation's location, it won't be that noticeable after it's painted. Same deal with the axle protrusion under the ear.

I may have to paint the entire head depending on the success (or lack thereof) of the paint match.

No comments:

Post a Comment