Thursday, November 03, 2011

Nose first


The stars have aligned in Uncle Earl's favor.  It seems that Uncle Earl's 2T mold is wearing out.  A decision had to be made whether to invest the time and money into re-making the mold or to discontinue the 2T head castings.  Almost simultaneously, a ventriloquist from Puerto Rico told me if I could make a full-size Uncle Earl (40"-42" tall). he'd buy it. 

I told Buzz James, Braylu Creations' owner about it.  So Buzz asked customers on his blog whether to continue the 2T Uncle Earl, or wait for a new full-size version.  The vote for the full-size version won out. 

Well... I have never tried to sculpt a full-size head from a small head model. Fate dictated it was time to try.  I'm altering my "Jackie" figure again as I did with the Asian figure. I've made a careful plan and I think it'll work. I started with Uncle Earl's big nose.  I sculpted it in Paper Clay.  (This stuff has changed my life!)  After that I'll recreate the wrinkled upper lip and jowls.  Then it's bags under the eyes, wrinkles in his forehead, bigger earlobes and a nice turkey neck for full effect. 

Then there's the jaw.  (Think I'm gonna be here awhile).

1 comment: