Saturday, January 15, 2011

Wired



Yes, I've had way too much coffee today.  But that has nothing to do with the title of this post. 

I've been making my own eyes. I've been placing the irises (which were printed out on a computer) after placing the eyeballs inside the head because the eye sockets are not always perfectly straight forward and even with each other. By placing the irises after placing the eyes inside the head, I could make sure the irises were centered.  However, this process denied me the use of the really nice plastic irises that are pre-installed and centered on those lovely cast eyes sold by Braylu Creations and Puppets and Props. 

Until I figured out a new way to center the pre-installed irises in the eye socket. (At least new to me).
  • I place a small screw eye in the center-back of the synchro bar
  • I take a length of 22-gauge wire and insert it between the coils of the spring behind the eye that needs to be centered.
  • I tug the wire enough to pull the spring inward enough to position the eye properly.
  • I insert one end of the wire through the screw eye and twist the ends of the wire to secure it.
  • I trim the excess twisted wire. 
  • Now the iris is centered properly in the eye socket and still bounces back into position for self-centering. 

1 comment:

  1. Brian6:12 PM

    I have found that the eye springs can also be torqued a bit with a needle nose pliers and work out a good eye position eliminating the need for an attached wire.

    ReplyDelete