Friday, January 07, 2011

The "pain" in painting

Q: I've been working on my own figures and use your site as a reference a lot and had a question for you. Do you have issues with your paint coming off a lot? I have a Mike Brose head which I have sanded and washed a lot and the paint still comes off way too easily. When I mean comes off, you can literally put it in water and use your hand to show perfectly clean resin underneath. I've been using Folkart craft paint could this be the problem?

A:  It's important to apply a coat of primer before applying your acrylic paint.  In addition, acrylic paint dries to the touch very quickly, but actually takes about a week to dry completely.  For quality's sake, I use artist-quality acrylic paints (available at your local art supply store) rather than craft paints (like Folkart).  Mike Brose's book "Figure Making Can Be Fun" has an excellent section on painting figures.  It's well-worth the investment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment