Saturday, September 04, 2010

No head for figures

It's a little ventriloquism humor. (Yeah, I know... very little).

Actually, I thought I'd pass along my vent figure body prep.  I buy my arms, legs and hands from Braylu Creations.  Owner Buzz James always marks the center spot on the lower interior where I screw in an eyehook for control post attachment.  Then I staple the legs onto the wood body. My exterior padding is a foam pad made for campers to cushion their sleeping bags.  I cut several 8"x12" rectangles and staple each one to a body. 

Next comes the shoulder padding.  I use a soft fleece material, soft-side up, on the shoulders.  I cut an "X" over the hole for the head.  I glue the padding onto the shoulders with Elmers Glue.  Then I staple the arms in place (with hands already attached).  The last step adds a foam covering over the soft pad on the shoulders (the same material as the body wrap).  Before I staple it in place, I cut a large hole for the head.  After stapling it, I cut away the shoulder foam in the areas in the front and in back of the hole for the head.  Finally, I stuff a 2-inch length of tubular ethofoam (used for home repair insulation) between the soft pad and the foam shoulder covering to give the shoulders a rounded appearance. 

I don't pad the interior.  I figure folks can add their own padding or not depending on their preference. (I prefer no interior padding). 

And that's how I turn a 'nobody' into a 'somebody'.

No comments:

Post a Comment