Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Bonehead

I have been encouraged to try my hand at sculpting a head suitable for a 40" figure. I've been scratching my noggin over what to use as an armature. I've seen some built out of wood. I've seen others built out of Styrofoam or foam insulation. Some folks use mannequin heads.

None of those caught my fancy. So I asked myself... what is shaped like a human head... but is slightly smaller... is hollow... and has all of the anatomical features in the right place? Hmmmmmmm. What could I use?

I KNOW! A skull! God used it with some success. Maybe I can, too! Does Ebay sell skulls? Why, yes they do. And mine arrived today!

Not to put too fine a point on it... actually somebody else's skull arrived today. My skull is still in use. (I need it for scratching.)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:22 AM

    Well, this will be interesting to watch as you experiment with it!

    Seems to me you might run afoul of the fact that most vent figures (including all of yours I've seen!) don't have human proportions.
    But...hey, who knows! This could be a lot of fun!

    Something else you might consider...Hobby Lobby has oversized hollow plastic Easter eggs in the season. I bought a couple of those to play around with in this regard.
    They also make little puppet-sized eggs.
    It seems to me (and I haven't tried it yet) a person could build a neck with...I dunno...an oatmeal box or carpet roll piece and use the egg and the oatmeal neck to sculpt on.
    Post pictures of the process, please, Kenny!

    -Philip

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's actually kind of creepy looking. You should make a skull doll with no skin. yes!

    ReplyDelete