Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Will it float?

I love that silly Letterman bit when he and Paul Schaffer bet on whether an object will sink or float in a Doughboy swimming pool. Well, I'm wondering if an idea a friend of mine has will sink or float.

An unnamed friend in the vent supply business has offered to make a mold of a head I sculpted and make castings. Then he'll market the castings on his website and sell me castings at a steep discount so I can make and sell completed figures.

I love the idea. As you know if you read this blog, I make conversion figures from Charlie McCarthy toy vent doll heads. To acquire the heads, I used to buy used Charlies on Ebay. Then I was tipped off about a close-out of new Charlie McCarthy dolls at a great price, so I scooped up a bunch. But sooner or later I'll have to start buying them on Ebay again. My arrangement will allow me to make vent figures from castings of my head sculptures, too.

The above headshots might be the first character we try. He's a little different from my Mr. Winkle character, but he's in that generation. One interesting feature of this head is that he has a slight smile on one side of his mouth, and a slight frown on the other. If I recall correctly, Paul Winchell liked Jerry to have a smile slightly bigger on on side than the other. This figure will also use larger eyes (1-1/2").

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the way to go. it will also cut down on the weight, as the head will be a casting and not have the build up from your magic sculpt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:04 PM

    And it's also the next logical step in your vent-building journey.

    -Philip

    ReplyDelete