Sunday, February 08, 2009

A hairy audition

I enjoy reading Jay Johnson's blog "The World's Is A Stage". He tells wonderful show business stories. Recently he told us about his final audition at ABC that won him the famous part on "Soap". He also published a copy of the Variety ad for the first casting (cattle) call for ventriloquists, which was held at CBS in LA.

I was at the initial casting call at CBS. My aunt, who was an acting teacher in LA, told me about it. At the time, I didn't use a figure or puppet, but rather sang a tune without moving my lips as a closing bit of my singer-songwriter act. (It was the same bit I did as part our street act in San Francisco when Harry Anderson and I were partners.)

I'd never seen so many ventriloquists and vent figures in one room as I saw that day in that Rehearsal Hall at CBS. A sea of ventriloquists! I recall the ad asked for someone 20-30 years old, but I saw vents much older and much younger than that. I remember one older guy with a Greecian Formula-dyed butch haircut and loud plaid jacket was saying how much younger he'd look on TV.

Eventually I was called in to a small room or curtained-off area (I don't recall which) to audition, which didn't last long. I had hair down to my butt and no dummy. Right away they eliminated me and I didn't even get to show 'em my act. But they were very polite, which I appreciated because I was also very nervous.

And of course, we all know who won the part. Obviously those casting directors knew what they were doing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kenny;

    Great story and photo! I see where you get your ideas, just looking at that old photo. Working with Harry Anderson must have been a hoot! It's funny when we look back at where we were and what might have been. I too read Jay's blog every day, saw him on broadway and he is special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:16 PM

    That picture is great, Kenny (and the story too)! When I finally cut my ponytail off in the early 90s, I had tears in my eyes. Now that seems like a lifetime ago...

    ReplyDelete