Sunday, July 13, 2008

Router touter

My incompetence when it comes to home improvement projects is legendary. I joke that I'm not allowed power tools, however that's not too far from the truth. Once I got it in my head that I needed a chain saw. I went to the local hardware dealer and asked for one. The clerk looked me up and down. After a moment she said, "No, Mr. Croes. I don't think I'm going to sell you a chain saw. You CAN have this handy handsaw... but sorry. No chain saw for you." Good thing she didn't let me have one. I have a feeling my nickname would be "Lefty".

There are a few small electrical devices my wife (and that clerk) have allowed me to purchase. (And I'm not talking about the blender I use to make Margaritas). One tool I really love is my Dremel tool. I've wanted to improve the quality and speed of making slots in the control post for levers. Before Dremel, I would drill lots of holes, then gouge out the remaining wood by hand. It works, but it's slow, not fun, and not as neat as I'd like.

Now... I KNOW better than to ask that clerk for a table router. She'd look me up and down and say,"No, Mr. Croes. I'm not selling you a table router. You CAN have this router bit for your Dremel tool. But sorry, no table router for you." Well, I bought the router bit for my Dremel tool (without asking) and lo and behold, it works great. I still drill the series of holes, but the router bit gouges out the remaining wood quickly and neatly. A little sanding and the slots look great.

The router bit does a MUCH better job than a chain saw!

No comments:

Post a Comment