Friday, July 11, 2008

On the blink

My first attempt at making soft blinkers for my conversion figure has proven to be rather difficult. In fact, I may pass it up for the moment because it's a little frustrating. The 1/16" brass rod is too thick to use for the blinker frame for such a small eye. To secure it, the length of tube in the corner of the eye needs to be longer, but there's really no room to make it so.

I tried building a frame out of the .18 gauge copper wire which was actually recommended for winding around the frame to make an interior axle. It worked pretty well as a frame, especially after coating it with a little Magic-Sculpt for reinforcement. However, the amount of space left to wrap the wire for the axle is just too small. I'm also concerned that there will be little room for the mechanics, though I'm still working on a strategy.

Time to catch my breath and move forward with my "old guy". I have found that stepping back and thinking about a problem sometimes produces a solution down the road. Of course, any thoughts you might have on the matter would be welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment