Saturday, May 12, 2007

Makin' eyes

I purchased some irises (no, not the flowers for Mother's Day) on Ebay. I thought I'd attempt to manufacture my own eyeballs. I gathered 1.5" wood balls from the craft store, a 5/8" router bit, a couple of drill bits and some white acrylic paint. I set to work.

As you can see from the photo, the router worked fine. After routing, I had to expand the size of the center hole to accomodate the plastic irises. The back hole measurement is smaller than the iris center hole. I was concerned that I might not be able to place the back hole directly 180 degrees from the iris. But I realized I could drill the smaller back hole from the front side through the larger iris hole. I'm usually not that clever, but I was proud to have figured that out.

Maybe I am getting better at this.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:51 PM

    Hi Kenny,

    Unfortunately, many of the plastic irises labeled as "brown " by manufacturers are actually orange, which I think makes a figure look cheap- but do not despair!Here's a little trick I learned from Rene Zendejas years ago...simply paint the BACK of these orange irises with a nice dark borwn (I use Ceramcoat Burnt Umber)- the result is a very nice looking BROWN eye!

    Have fun!

    Very Best Regards,
    Glen

    ReplyDelete