Sunday, May 06, 2007

My refurb project

A while back, I purchased a retro-fit Charlie McCarthy to see how it was built. To my amazement, the eyes were not spheres or even half-spheres, but cylinders. I thought that was quite clever. There are springs in the back of the cylinders for self-centering. I am refurbishing the figure because it was in sad shape when it arrived. The control post was loose (since re-attached), and the eye sockets have a rather heavy (and scary) outline (yet to be corrected with a new paint job). I'll likely repaint the cylinder eyes and perhaps use plastic irises recently purchased on Ebay.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:57 PM

    Hi Kenny,

    William Andersen also used this method quite a bit over the years...just cutting sections of dowel for the eyes. Very clever as this method is MUCH less expensive than the solid wood balls!

    Keep up the good work!

    Very Best Regards,
    Glen Rappold

    ReplyDelete