Saturday, April 10, 2010

I picked the nose

Yeah, I know... yuck.

But I'm referring to my first attempt at sculpting a full-size figure. Buzz James of Braylu Creations has been encouraging me to do so, so I finally got started this week. One big hold up has been the armature issue. I've purchased skulls for that, but still hadn't made the move forward. Buzz sent me a Styrofoam mannequin head sitting in a piece of PVC pipe for the neck.

So the first move I've made is to sculpt part of a nose. Next, I'm going to cut away a section of Styrofoam for the jaw, which I plan to make separately. I'll also make holes for the eyes and mount some 1.5" wood knobs on an eye tray inside the head, then sculpt around them. Buzz cut the mannequin head in half for me and re-glued it back together. I'll peel it apart again for the eye tray.

That's my plan. If it's not too embarrassing, I'll post photos of my progress. (By the way, I'm "speed-sculpting" with Magic-Sculpt).

No comments:

Post a Comment