Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Half a head isn't better than one

But it's a start.

I've discovered one thing about using a styrofoam mannequin head as an armature. I won't do it again. It's really messy. When you cut into it, it disintegrates into little round granules that stick to everything because of static electricity. I'm always sucking the stuff up with my Shopvac. Nevertheless I'm pressing onward.

I split the head into two pieces; front and back. I dug out the backside of the front half to mount an eye tray. Next step is to sculpt around the eyes.

This is gonna take awhile folks.

2 comments:

  1. Philip Grecian9:06 PM

    Yeah...I kinda wondered about that styrofoam head thing.
    I'll tell you what I think would make a great armature: Hobby Lobby carries head-sized plastic Easter eggs during the season. With the addition of a neck piece (PVC maybe) those eggs would be great armatures.
    (I bought a couple myself and squirreled 'em away for a rainy day)
    That's a great looking critter you're developing, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you should use is one of your other heads, uncle earl or cheeky boy. They are both size 2-T and after you sculpt over the top of them and change the appearance they would be a larger 3-T size, and already hollowed out inside, plus the eyes and jaw cut out. MontanaDan

    ReplyDelete