Sunday, August 02, 2009

Nailed it

The styrofoam carving didn't work as well for the ears. I still think it has possibilities. Rather than use a ball, I think it would be better to carve an ear shape from a thinner styrofoam rectangle. I'll check out the craft store to see if they sell something close.

Meanwhile, I cut out an ear shape from a thin sheet of styrene plastic. I drilled two holes in the styrene ear and used Magic-Sculpt like a nail to secure it over the Charlie ear. After the Magic-Sculpt dried, I covered the stryrene with Magic-Sculpt to form the ear. There was some weight savings because this tact allowed me to make a bigger ear with less Magic-Sculpt.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:16 AM

    For what it's worth, I use some of that thin-sheet foam stuff you buy in craft shops to build ears in stacking layers, then add a couple of layers of papier mache, but use acrylic medium instead of paste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:47 AM

    Oh, and I have also used ethafoam rod as the basis for wrinkles and the like.
    It's a dense (usually gray-colored) foam rubber product that is sold in yards-long coils and is used to seal joints in air ducts and around doors.
    Again...I often use that "acrylic mache" I mention in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete