Saturday, July 11, 2009

They break a leg one leg at a time

I watched a wonderful documentary titled "Show Business: The Road To Broadway". It's a behind-the-scenes look at the launching of four Broadway musicals; Wicked, Avenue Q, Caroline Or Change, and Taboo.

Though the film showed only isolated scenes of each musical, Avenue Q was my favorite (which features Muppet-like characters-big surprise). Two things about the documentary made the deepest impression on me.

First, there were several scenes showing New York Broadway critics having dinner together and discussing (often ripping) the four shows. I was surprised they socialize frequently. (And my gawd they can be cruel in their comments).

Secondly, I was amazed at how similar the backstage activity and dynamics are to community theatre productions of stage shows. Of course there's a difference in talent and production complexity, but I easily recognized the anxiety, frustration and joy.

Show Business: The Road To Broadway is fun to watch and probably available at your local video store.

No comments:

Post a Comment