Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Works for me


I learned to make an axle and pulley system to open and close the jaw from Al Stevens' "Fred Project".  That's the pulley on the right.  The pulley is actually a screen door pulley, available at your local True Value Hardware store.  The pulley on the left helps cross the eyes.  It's the first time I've placed two pulleys on the same axle.  For crossing the eyes, I used to slip a 1"-length of brass tubing over the axle, and the cord would pass over it.  But adding a second pulley actually works better.

2 comments:

  1. Brian7:47 PM

    I like your brass tube idea, but wondered how it compared to a designated pully. The tube seems less likely to snag (as the pulley when head is inverted) but with 2 lines I thought thfey might interfere with each other when slack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as ease of use, the pulley and brass tube work about the same. Neither turn much because of the angle. However both are quite smooth and the cord travels easily over both surfaces. But I think the pulley is best for cord neatness and isolation.

    ReplyDelete