Saturday, July 10, 2010

The jaw bone's connected to the... brass tube

Here's a tip for folks who've bought or are considering buying a Kenny Croes Collection head from Braylu Creations:

After sawing off the back of the head, cutting the mouth opening and eye sockets, typically the next thing I do is install a 1/8" brass tube into the jaw. Then I cut a 3/32" brass rod 3-1/8" long. I insert the brass rod into the brass tube on the jaw. I place the jaw in the head. I want the jaw to fit in the opening of the head. I want it to swing freely, opening and closing. But it 's highly unlikely it will swing freely the first time.

You may have to shorten the brass rod to get the jaw all the way forward in the opening. You may have to file down the sides of the opening in the head or the sides of the jaw if the fit is too tight. You may have to do a combination of all of the above.

After you accomplish the free swinging of the jaw, use Magic-Sculpt to make slots in the head where the brass rod touches either side. Leave your slots open so the rod can slip in and out. Later down the line, you can place the jaw in the head and apply Magic-Sculpt over the open slots to close them permanently. But while they are still open, you can make adjustments, fill, sand, paint etc.

Pictured here is a "Cheeky Boy" jaw. Hint: I may use Magic-Sculpt to make the tongue a little larger and more rounded.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Kenny. As a follower of your blog, I want to thank you for sharing your tips and tricks with us. Rest assured that everything you shared will be used wisely. Now, it's time for me to order from one of the brass tube suppliers here in my hometown. I hope I will be able to do the instructions correctly.

    More power to your blog. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete