Saturday, May 17, 2008

Trying my hand at it again

The first pair of hands I semi-sculpted will be replaced in the near future with a newly-sculpted pair of hands. I'm sculpting my first model out of Klean Klay.

I started with a 1-inch-tall piece of 1-inch-in-diameter wood dowel. Then I took a coat hanger and bent it into the shape of the hand. I drilled two holes into the top of the wood dowel and glued each end of the bent coat hanger into the holes. That's my armature.

I piled on the clay and shaped it as best I could to make it resemble a hand. Now that I have the basic shape and look, I've hot-glued the dowels onto a wood board so the hands will remain upright and steady for final shaping, detailing and smoothing.

The hands will remain glued to the board throughout the silicone rubber mold-building process.

No comments:

Post a Comment