Sunday, November 25, 2007

Play with clay

They say the first step is admitting you have a problem. Okay... I admit it. I can't make a decision.

Now that I've come to grips with that, I step boldly forward and declare... here it comes.... SKIN MOLD! (It took a couple of weeks just to decide WHICH method to make my first mold).

I unpacked the five pounds of Klean Klay (a sulfur-free clay) and planted the hand models in it. I etched a gutter around the models as instructed by Mike Brose's book "Figuremaking Can be Fun". I made some keys with the end of the handle of my sculpting tool and a twirl of my little finger. (The keys are the round impressions near the edges of the clay forms. They will help to line up the two halves of the skin mold).

Next comes the application of silicone rubber and the making of the mothermold (either of hard plastic or plaster bandages).

This is a big deal for me in my quest to make vent figures from molds. We'll see how the next step works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment