Thursday, January 04, 2007

Thumbin' it

I recently discovered the Yahoo Group called WORLDVENTS. A member wanted to know if it was advisable to use the thumb to move the mouth rather than the index finger. Surprisingly, most responses recommended the thumb. I prefer the thumb because I first learned to operate a vent figure using a ball-and-socket Jerry Mahoney. And I'm lefthanded. Though I build my figures for the standard righthand index finger mouth manipulation, my own figure (from a Mike Brose casting) is set up identically to the old Jerry Mahoney with moving eyes. The eyes default to the right. When I pull the string with my left index finger, the eyes move to the left. I move the mouth by pulling the string with my left thumb.

I like Mike Brose's advice when it come to setting up one's own controls. The only rule is there are no rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment